Can we take a bath during fever?
Fever means body temperature rises above the average normal temperature of 98.6 °F [37 °C] and feels warm to the touch.
How can we get rid of a fever?
Many studies showed that taking a bath during fever is not only relaxing but helps to decrease body temperature.
However, most people are reluctant to take a bath because they believe that body temperature may be increased by bathing. This may not be entirely true. People suffering from fever should take a bath except for patients who are restricted from bathing by the doctor.
The followings are advantages of taking shower during fever:
- Regulating body temperature
- Preventing the spread of microorganisms
- Loosening chest congestion
- Clearing stuffy nasal passages with moisture
- Relieving headaches by dilating blood vessels
- Easing muscle aches and pains with hot water massage
- Maintaining personal hygiene
- Soothe irritated skin
- Getting comfort and relaxation
- Relaxing mind and muscles for better sleep
In case you do not want to take a bath, then you can get a sponge bath. Sponge with cool water reduces body temperature.
Placing a cool, damp washcloth on the forehead and the back of the neck can help to reduce fever and refresh. The sponge bath with cool water should be given on high-heat areas such as armpits and groin.
Moreover, other home remedies can help to reduce fever:
- keep the room temperature cool and good ventilation
- sleep with only a sheet or light blanket
- drink plenty of fluids
- eat a well-balanced nutrition
- dress in light clothing
- take over-the-counter medicines (E.g, Paracetamol) and other medications as advised by the doctor
Starting today, get rid of your old concept and take a bath to regulate your body temperature for health.